Electrical systems are complicated, but we’re here to help. Our team of engineers design 2,000+ systems every year – that’s more than anyone else in the industry. We can help you make off-grid energy simple.
Confused about electrics?
of people incorrectly answered the 4 most fundamental questions
Campervan electrical systems can be confusing. There are so many options that it’s easy to spend days researching and still not feel confident. We surveyed 332 people, and only 2 answered the 4 most fundamental questions about their electrical system correctly.
Not confident in your system?
By using Nomadic Energy, our customers save on average…
Being confident that you’ve designed the perfect system can be challenging, and the implications of getting it wrong can be costly. How do you know if you’ve designed a system that is safe, reliable and bespoke to your needs?
Expert advice at no extra cost
By using Nomadic Energy, our customers save on average…
Don’t spend weeks researching and still risk getting it wrong, trust us to do the hard work. Answer a series of questions about your usage and we’ll take care of the rest. One of our off-grid engineers will provide a proposal for your system, and once you’ve purchased your components through us, we’ll send over your bespoke wiring diagram.
And, did we mention it’s free?!
Who is Nomadic Energy for?
Whether you’re converting a Sprinter for full-time van life or a Caddy for weekend adventures, we’ve designed hundreds of campervan electrical systems, from basic 12V setups to high-powered, off-grid systems.
Overlanders come with their own set of challenges – extreme conditions, minimal roof space and off-grid requirements. We have experience designing overlanding electrical systems, from Defenders to Unimogs.
There are different considerations for boat electrical systems, whether a self-build narrowboat or 56ft catamaran designed to sail around exotic islands. Our Naval Architect can help you navigate these.
Whether you’re building an off-grid cabin in the woods or a self-sufficient garden office, our team can design your perfect system and ensure you won’t run out of power when you need it most.
Please note: Unfortunately we are currently unable to help with boat or house projects, as our engineers are at capacity.
What does the service include?
- Proposals contain all components needed to install your electrical system
- We include high quality products that match your requirements
- We won't over or under-spec your system
Free proposal detailing the cost and performance of your system
- Detailed sub-system wiring diagrams show exactly how to connect all components
- Follow the guide from start to finish for step-by-step instructions on how to install your system
- Unlike other electrical system consultants, we don't charge for your bespoke wiring diagram
Once you order your system, receive your free bespoke wiring diagram & installation guide
Provided once you pay for your system
It’s not just our customers who love us. The prestigious Great British Entrepreneur Awards announced Nomadic Energy as Service of the Year 2022! You can find out more about why our nomadic team grabbed the top prize here.
Example electrical systems
Below we’ve included a few examples of different use cases and the type of system required for them. The cost of your system will vary based on your requirements, but these examples are intended to give a rough idea of cost only. Please note – these indicative costs are for campervans and vehicle conversions. If you are working on a boat or off-grid property, we will provide indicative costs separately.
- Use van for weekends away, only use 1 or 2 low wattage 230V appliances (e.g. laptop, camera charger)
- Longer trips or full-time van life but you don’t need 230V
- Don’t have electric hook-up
- 1-2 week trips as well as weekends, use a few 230V appliances (e.g. projector, blender)
- Longer trips or full-time van life but you don’t have a high power usage or electric hook-up
- Use van for holidays and want a van that can be powered both off-grid and connected to campsite hook-up
- Need to power higher wattage appliances (e.g. hairdryer, kettle)
- Longer trips or full-time van life and have very high power usage with high wattage appliances
- Want to invest in a system that will never need to be replaced or upgraded
Systems that give back
We are members of 1% for the Planet. This means that 1% of the total cost of every electrical system goes to The Honnold Foundation, who support solar powered community projects in underprivileged areas.
If you want your electrical system to have a positive impact, purchasing your system from us will mean you can give back as well as powering your off-grid system. We are the only electrical system supplier in the industry who does this. Find out more about our sustainability goals.
What to expect
- Fill in our electrical questionnaire about your usage.
- Our off-grid engineers will be in touch with some follow-up questions.
- Using our custom algorithm, we will create your bespoke system.
- We will email you a proposal for your system.
- Review your proposal, ask any questions, and agree any amendments.
- Book a call with our Senior Engineer to answer any final questions.
- Once you’ve paid, your order will be dispatched and we will send your bespoke wiring diagram and installation booklet.
- Unlike others, we won’t charge for your quote or wiring diagram.
- We offer a price match guarantee on all branded components 💪
- Be confident your system is reliable and suitable for your needs.
Ready to make off-grid energy simple?
Systems designed by engineers, not salesmen.
Meet our off-grid team
Frequently asked questions
Yes. The quote is 100% free and no obligation. As long as you order the majority (~80%) of your electrical system components through us, we will provide your bespoke wiring diagram free of charge. We apply a 5% discount on your entire system, so it shouldn’t cost you any more to order your system through us than anyone else.
Yes, we can make amendments to your quotation free of charge.
For the main components we use Victron Energy and Blue Sea Systems. We also use a range of different battery providers, including TN Power, RELiON and Roamer.
Once you’ve filled out our online questionnaire, one of our off-grid engineers will be in touch with some follow up questions within 2 working days, although this can vary based on how busy we are.
Once they’ve confirmed the exact details of what you require, they’ll send over a proposal for your system.
If you’re happy with the quote, simply make payment and we’ll place the order with our suppliers. If all of the required equipment is in stock, the order will be sent out via next day delivery. However, if there are a couple of items that are not in stock, these will be dispatched separately as soon as they arrive (usually around 5-7 working days).
We will confirm as soon as your order has been dispatched so that you know when to expect it.
We will aim to share your wiring diagram and the installation ebook within 7 working days of you making payment.
We’re able to offer free shipping to mainland UK. Please note that if you live in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Scottish highlands and islands and certain parts of Europe, there will be an additional postage fee.
We are currently able to fulfil EU orders. These will be sent from the UK with no VAT, so you will need to pay import duties at your local rate of VAT when your delivery arrives.
We are now working with a US distributor so we can dispatch orders to the US. Your order will be sent directly from within the US, so there will be no import duties to pay. Additionally, we there will be no tax to pay on your order.
We use a custom algorithm which we have specially developed to help us calculate the components you will need for your system. This means that there’s no guesswork involved!
Once we have designed your system, we will provide a price breakdown of your branded components. If you find it cheaper on a competitors website, we’ll match it. That way, you’re guaranteed to get the best price and take full advantage of our award winning service.
Please note: We cannot compare prices against Amazon or eBay as these sites unfortunately often sell counterfeit, reconditioned or falsely advertised products, and won’t provide any level of technical support.
Just need to buy a single product?
We sell a range of campervan electrical equipment in our shop: