We are passionate about sustainability. We recognise that everything we do, from running our website to printing books, has an impact on the environment, so we want to ensure we are doing the right thing and giving back.
What are we doing?
Measuring & offsetting our carbon footprint
When measuring our carbon footprint, we include:
- The physical production of our book
- The distribution of all products for sale via our website
- Our “office” and personal yearly footprint
- Everything else – our website hosting, mobile phone & internet contracts
We offset all of our emissions through Ecologi, who support a range of carbon reduction projects that are certified at the very highest level by Gold Standard and equivalent.
Printing responsibly & giving back
- We are printing The Van Conversion Bible with a UK-based book printer. They use vegetable-based inks and FSC certified paper from sustainable, well-managed forests and other responsible sources.
- All packaging used to post our book is fully recyclable.
- We plant a tree for every order of The Van Conversion Bible. We used to do this with Ecologi. However, as we are members of 1% for the Planet, we now do this through Tree Nation, who are a 1% environmental partner.
Give 1% of our annual sales though 1% for the Planet
- We are now members of 1% for the Planet. This means we will give 1% of all of our sales (from The Van Conversion Bible, Nomadic Energy and any direct website sales of electrical products) to environmental projects. We split our donation between the Honnold Foundation and Tree Nation.
- Why 1% of annual sales? For businesses of any size, 1% of sales – not profits – is a real and substantial commitment. You can always give more, but you should never give less than 1%.
- Currently, only 3% of philanthropic giving goes to the environment. Our planet needs more support and the 1% for the Planet network is on a mission to change that.
- Why the Honnold Foundation? We wanted our electrical systems to have a positive impact, not only to those who we are designing systems for, but also to our planet. The Honnold Foundation was set up by climber Alex Honnold to support community organisations who are using solar energy to improve lives and reduce environmental impact. This felt like the perfect non-profit for us to support, as through helping others to realise the dream of van life, we can also help communities all over the world to access clean and affordable energy.
- Why Tree Nation? We were keen to give back more than we were taking by printing a physical book. So, we plant a tree for every order of The Van Conversion Bible. Tree Nation work on reforestation and conservation projects, helping to restore forests, create jobs, support local communities and protect biodiversity.
Promoting a sustainable lifestyle
- We aim to work with brands that align with our sustainability values.
- We try to minimise our personal impact by cutting down on single use plastic and eating plant based diets, and we actively promote positive lifestyle changes that others can easily make through our channels.
- B Corp status: in the coming months, we hope to work towards becoming B Corp certified.
- Move hosting providers: our website hosting is currently with Hostinger, who provide a great service but unfortunately are not a green hosting provider. When our hosting is due for renewal, we will look to move to a green provider.
We know that we could be doing more and are constantly striving to improve, so we encourage any feedback and suggestions, and are committed to being transparent in everything that we do.
Distribution by Amazon: we currently distribute our books using Amazon. This is because we are just starting out, and other distributors were prohibitively expensive. However, we are using the money saved to offset our carbon footprint and donate to 1% for the Planet which we wouldn’t otherwise be able to do. In the future, we plan to move to using a more sustainable and ethical distributor.